more amazing news

sexta-feira, 1 de julho de 2016

Summertime Slow Cooker Chili 🍅 Years ago, I posted my “busy...

Share it Please


Summertime Slow Cooker Chili 🍅

Years ago, I posted my “busy girl chili,” a very basic slow cooker recipe… This variation has more going on without being significantly more high maintenance – important since preparing for the Florida bar exam and job hunting has made me a “busy” girl, once again. I particularly like the addition of black eyed peas and zucchini, both of which remind me of long childhood summers spent in Alabama.

INGREDIENTS:
-15 oz kidney beans
-15 oz black eyed peas
-15 oz black beans
(All legumes cooked and rinsed of any can liquid)
-½ a large white onion, fine dice
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-¼ tsp olive oil
-3 tomatoes, chopped into salsa-size chunks
-1 green bell pepper, chopped
-1 jalapeño pepper, chopped with about ¼ of the seeds removed
-1 c water
-3 tbsp tomato paste
-1 tbsp cumin
-1 tbsp paprika
-2 tsp Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning
-2 tsp Sriracha (or any other garlic-heavy hot sauce)
-1 zucchini, cut into ½" thick circles and then quartered

METHOD:
-(Optional but tasty) Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the olive just begins to go translucent. Add to your slow cooker. (You can just put them in raw, of course, but I find that this extra step imparts much better flavor.)
-Add all other ingredients EXCEPT for the zucchini to your slow cooker. Cook on “high” for 4-5 hours.
-About an hour before serving, add your zucchini to the slow cooker. Continue to cook on high.
-Taste your chili right before serving (the zucchini releases water)… Adjust seasonings if necessary, and serve with love.

(I didn’t have time to make homemade cornbread, so I used the Martha White gluten-free mix with a flax egg and almond milk. Because my pan was a bit large, it came out quite thin - like Triscuit thin, but it actually had nice texture and flavor for premixed cornbread.)

Related post



Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Follow us on Facebook

Todas as receitas estão no Petitchef